Bully Prevention Sharing

Today I did Bully Prevention sharing to Primary 6 boys at 8 am - 9 am. There were 25 boys from three different classrooms. Eventhough today was the first day for them in the second semester, they looked enthusiastic and happy in joining this one-hour program. I smiled at myself. It was not this program sharing. They were happy because they skipped lessons. What a great morning!

17 out 25 students said they experienced to get bullied by other students with different predicted reasons:

"Because I am coward and I am scared of ghost since a child…."
"Because (a girl) likes me and she told everybody."
"Because I didn't want to play with him."
"I am better at drawing."
"Because I am not fat like him."
"Because I didn't follow what they said."
"Because I'm not that smart and my stomach is big."
"I got higher score in test."
……
And other reasons. Two of them are about jealousy. One of them is about religion. A boy said it was because of his sitting position in the classroom. One boy said it was because he is short. Five other students have no clear reasons.

When I asked them what the bully needs to realize, most of them understand that bully is bad.

They asnwered:

"Bully is not the answer."
"He need to be not very jealous."
"Bullying could hurt others."
"The bully still does not know other people's feeling."
"Everyone is different."
"They need to realize that bullying makes me sad."
"The bully has to realize that humans have to be treated equally."
….. And other answers that sound the same like the above ones.

Bully is a problem that will happen in almost every school. As a teacher, what we can do to prevent bullying beside tight supervision on students' activities is to let students feel what the victims feel and let them find out what the bully need to realize.

No comments: